-->

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Custom Built Aviary

Our current finch family includes Andre II, Corky: son of Andre II, Sparkling: mate of Corky, and Edie (for 'Extra Dry'): mate of Andre II.

Edie joined our family after the tragic death of Flute, and her trademark move is standing backwards in the food dish. She is small, but a fast flyer, and really likes to jet. She was recently involved in a bit of excitement, but more on that later because I'm writing today about their custom built aviary.

During this past snowy February, David worked hard to turn my wish into reality. I had sketched out some ideas, and we had hemmed and hawed over possible designs that would be practical, look nice, and be affordable (David had been laid off in February). We decided that altering an existing piece of furniture would simplify the process, and he started tracking CraigsList.

The winning piece was an entertainment center he spotted at St Vincent DePaul. After he first saw it, he described it to me as being in good shape except for a few dings and a detached front door. I gave him the nod to go back the next day and buy it with my Christmas cash, and when he got there it was on sale for $20 because of the damaged door! To top it off, turns out the door was fine, just the hinge needed some tinkering.

Anyhoo, following are some of the pictures I snapped during his project. I didn't capture all the stages because he worked on it while I was at work, but I think these will do.

Cut-out door section that will be replaced by plexiglass

The side panels will be replaced with wire mesh.

This is how the wire mesh is anchored to the backside.

Backside complete with plexiglass and wire

To accomodate bird food/water dishes without reinventing the wheel,
we repurposed a panel from a small bird cage.

Closeup of the panel anchored to the wire mesh.

Beautiful! Finished outer shell.

Support rails for the bottom shelf inside.

Slide-out poop tray goes under the rails...

...removeable  mesh-covered frame goes on top of the rails.

All the comforts of their former home
plus so much more!

Obstruction-free viewing through the clear doors.

Drop-down blind allows me to open the doors to reach items
or clean the cage without the birds flying away.

Every zebra finch couple appreciates mood lighting!
Next post, I'll have pictures showing the birds enjoying their big slice of aviary heaven. It's been a great source of fun for me, too, and I wish every domesticated bird could live in such luxury.

Thank you, David! Once again, you've impressed me with your talents, and amazed me with your ability to sift through all the dreams and clouds in my head and create exactly what I want.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing what creativity! It is grat to see repurposing of good materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--David is a genius! I also try to use recycled and natural items for cage decor and toys.

      Delete
  2. OMG, how cool are you guys! That is amazing, turning an old hutch into the greatest bird home ever! Any chance you 2 want to tackle my closet? :) Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Aviary is beautiful! What talent you both have, your ideas and David's skills. Just love it! How many hours were put into this creation? Surely a labor of love! Wow!

    ReplyDelete