-->

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Journal Entry #11 - Butler, Perrysville, Mansfield OH

Monday 9/9/02

Day Eleven

     KOA, Butler, OH
     Starting mileage 90950 / Ending mileage 90950

I managed to pull myself up for dog duty @ 6:30, then back to bed – the dinette bed seemed to repel Vince’s attempts to sleep with (on) us. By 8:30 we were all up, and had bagels for breakfast. Just for kicks made tea & coffee for Dad & Elsie and served it on a tray. Lounged a bit, then hit the road @ 10 to go to the [homeowners]. Tried to go up on *Mt Jeez first but the gates were closed.

Dad had fun driving up the “new” driveway to the house. [section omitted]. We toured the house, and when the menfolk went out to the garage I showed S a few things on the computer (how-to) and also a few pictures from my photo CD. She is very pleasant & nice to be around.

We then went outside to find guys, oh, except first I asked S about H’s view on a sale, and she said she couldn’t get him to budge. So, my spirits went down a bit, but I knew David had “Plan B” up his sleeve.

We all wandered around the property. I just love the far-reaching views in a 360 degree panorama, with no neighbors or eyesores to deal with. It doesn’t hurt to have record-breaking temps in the 90’s and cheerful sunny skies.  [section omitted]. The goal was to get David & H alone so they could haggle, but first we spent time on the red concrete porch talking over Malabar historical facts. 


Left to Right: Grandmother Ruth, Grandfather Axel, help,
aunt Karin, Dad, aunt Britta, Louis Bromfield
S really enjoyed getting the real scoop from Dad, who speaks from direct experience with Louis Bromfield and the other inhabitants. They shared & exchanged old pictures, but eventually David & H wandered up into the back yard.

After a time I got to find out that David had asked H about selling and was told they weren’t ready at this time. Although I had told S we’d make another salad, I knew then that I wouldn’t be good company, and David walked me out to the van. He went in and made my apologies, and after a short while everyone came out and we got ready to leave. S brought me a glass of water, and I made sure she & H saw my Kleenex dabbing away. It wasn’t all for show by any means, but it doesn’t hurt to let someone know you’re disappointed. [section omitted].

Anyway, we left and did a litting touring of the Mansfield area before heading to the Richland Mall (now Westfield Shopping Town Richland) and having lunch at the food court (Oriental Express). Oh, and I forgot to mention that we found the gates to Mt Jeez open and went up to look & take a few pictures. Also, did a driving tour of Malabar Farm.
Me crying to daddy about the
answer, while up on Mt Jeez


Malabar Farm from up on Mt Jeez
After cruising by a couple “Homes for Sale” on O’Possum Run Road, we headed back to the trailer, arriving back @ 4:30. The doggies were ecstatic!

Well, it’s 6:45, we’ve just been lounging and I’ve been writing so I better get cracking on dinner.

After dinner of BBQ chicken & leftover shrimp pasta and peach pie with vanilla sauce, we lounged around some more & listened to classical music, trying to guess the composer. I attempted to get everyone tipsy, and was successful except for Elsie who appears to have more self-discipline than the rest of us. Then to bed.

*Mt Jeez: A local "hill" associated with Malabar Farm.
End of Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment