-->

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Journal Entry #16 - Butler, Loudonville OH

Saturday  9/14/02

Day Sixteen

     KOA, Butler, OH
     Starting mileage 91338 / Ending mileage 91464

David didn’t sleep well last night due to possible digestive discomfort, but mostly it was the thunderstorm. That’s right, our first Ohio thunderstorm this trip! It was pretty good—moderate rain but lots of noise. We let the doggies in to sleep with us so they wouldn’t be scared. I’m pretty sure they slept through the whole thing…
I made an omelette for one, and we left the KOA @ 10:30. First stop: library. David worked on reserving moving trucks & trailers while I checked email. Found out Pav is doing great with Dad & Elsie, and that [omitted]. S sent a nice note for us to “stay in touch”.
Well, we drove and drove until 1:45pm. As we’ve noticed since arriving Ohio, the fields & fields of *sweet peas are turning a lovely golden hue. Besides the corn, it seems that *alfalfa is one of the other main crops. We haven’t seen any pumpkin patches thus far, which strikes us as a little odd.


Something we have seen a lot of is deer statuary. At least we thought they were decorative, until we noticed that they have a shoulder “target” (see photo). Seems they’re not entirely eye candy…
Another interesting observation by David is that some of the roads have intricate patching—on cracks, thousands of cracks, not the whole road or just potholes. Looks like A LOT of work.
Anyway, @ 1:45 we stopped back in L’ville to use the Library bathroom, and I walked down to “Simply Country”—the store which *Jerrilyn L [last names omitted from this section] owns. One of my earlier emails was from Classmates.com saying that the original 20-year high school reunion had been cancelled due to “lack of response”, but that a casual reunion would be held Oct. 5 at Jerrilynn’s house. So, I went to her store, but she was not there, although her sister Jeannie appeared to recognize me. I think it’s because Dad & Elsie had stopped into the store, and my maiden name had been spotted. 
Anyhoo, I talked to Jerrilynn on the phone and told her I was sorry not to be able to see her Oct 5. Turns out Lisa L, Marcy E and misc. others I know will be there. Lisa works in journalism in New York now! I wrote down Jerrilynn’s address so I can mail something out.
By 2:20pm we were back on the road, heading out on Rt 3 to scope out more areas around Loudonville. Although we love every road we go on, and driving is such a pleasure, it didn’t take much longer to realize that it only counts if something is for sale. So, we decided to call it a day and wait until Monday to have any further ideas re: our future home.
Arrived KOA @ 3:30. David bought a large bundle of firewood near the camp, but we didn’t end up using it because another thunderstorm moved through. Actually, we couldn’t hear thunder because the rain on the awning was so loud. We sat under cover for the watery barrage, then back to the comfort of the trailer. Oh yes, earlier we BBQ’d chicken for dinner.
Vince is sleeping between us on the couch as we watch ‘Forensic Files’ on TV. He is dreaming and his paws are doing double time. Also, he snores quite loudly. So cute! Tomorrow we’re headed to Cleveland, so we’ll just keep relaxing tonight.

*sweet peas: We were just guessing at crops, but I'm sure I wasn't actually thinking sweet peas when I wrote that down. Turns out I was referring to soy beans...
*alfalfa: Yeah, guessing again. Not sure now what the actual crop was. 

*Jerrilynn: high school classmate


End of Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment