-->

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Three Tenors and a Flute - Update & Tales of Adventure

Corky, Brut and Flute are maturing nicely. The kids still shed an occasional batch of miniscule, grayish-white baby feathers, and their markings continue to gain definition and deepen in hue.

Deuce is still an attentive father and singing coach. The foursome seem to enjoy each other's company, usually grouping on the same perch for grooming or naps, and carefully packing themselves into the open nest at night.


For those of you hung up on the possible "bird incest" situation (I know you're out there, people) I removed the hooded nest quite some time ago to discourage mating & egg laying--you know, the whole brother-sister father-daughter thing... So far, I have not observed any mating behavior like I noticed with Andre & Crystal and Andre II & Bubbles, so Flute's virtue appears to be intact. I will remain vigilant, and take action when necessary.

I did have some bird excitement a few weeks ago. One night I went into the bird room to check on them before bed, and after counting only three in the cage I saw one of the males sitting on the curtain rod behind the cage. I was mad at myself, because I must have had a slot open too long when changing water that morning and didn't see him get out.

After shutting the door, I used my best bird-whisperer technique to lure him back into the cage. (Translation: I held up the small transport cage with its door open and walked around the room behind the fluttering bird until I funneled him into that one, then put both cages door-to-door and encouraged him to go back into the big cage (sub-translation: I tilted the little cage and poked a long-handled artist's brush hither and thither).

Several days later, I went in the bathroom to wash my face. As is my habit, I opened the window & screen and watched the horses for awhile. Then, as I turned to the sink and started the water, I heard a strange noise. Just a tiny scritch-scratch, but enough to make me look around. And there, on the shelf of the framed-in bathroom mirror, was a male zebra finch staring at me! Of course I immediately closed the window, then after a brief but stern lecture I used my "technique" to get him back to his family.

Since I was sure no one escaped on my watch, I checked the cage for any gaps, and sure enough there was a slight gap in the right front corner. I taped it closed with white athletic tape, gave them all another lecture, and we've had no more adventure flights since.




No comments:

Post a Comment