-->

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Who switched our puppy with an old dog?

11-28-1999
Vince, 2 months old, first day at home after being adopted
 



Just a wee bit bigger than an apple

After the cutest puppyhood ever and 14 zesty years, Vince is beginning to succumb to age and is having some health problems. He has been doing quite well, and we've all adjusted to his (alleged) deafness by waving our arms and pointing alot. He gets a little cranky with Frank, our other male, so we keep them separate.

Our illusion of Vince's immortality was threatened recently after a vet visit. He went with his four dog buddies for annual checkups and shots. Immediately afterward, Vince became lethargic and unable to stand or walk. He drank water, but had no appetite and not enough energy to lift his head. I had college friends visiting at the time, and they were obviously convinced (as was I) that our senior buddy was in his final hours.

While I was avoiding despair and heartlessly cavorting with my friends, David researched medical canine issues and convinced me later that Vince was simply having a bad reaction that would pass. Plus, he had good news that Vince had eaten some food.

Fast forward one week: Vince is able to get up and go outside on his own; do his "business" and come back in or stay outside on a pad. We are still having to encourage him to eat, and after concluding that his kidneys are stressing (very common for senior dogs, and a known reaction to vaccinations) we are feeding him a kidney-friendly diet.
I cooked up a big batch of rice and chicken, both low in phosphates which are difficult for kidneys to process, and a batch of elbow macaroni and ground steak (low phosphates, high quality protein). (Yes, I ground the steak bits myself in the KitchenAid attachment--go ahead and make fun of this over-zealous dog lover.) Sometimes Vince gets non-dairy whipped topping on his food because it's high in calcium and low in phosphorus. (I think I'll use that line this Thanksgiving when I put half a tub on a piece of pumpkin pie...)


Vince is sending out his message:
I won't live forever, so enjoy me while I'm here.
 
And for crying out loud give me another piece of steak!



I'm sure Vince would appreciate any comments on his behalf, especially any memories some of you may have of him.




1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to you. It's so hard to watch a good friend start to fade. I hope he's feeling better and able to comfortably live out whatever time he has left. (I'd forgotten what a cute puppy he was!)

    ReplyDelete