-->

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Journal: Our First Tractor

February 2003

Here is the story of our first farm tractor, as told by hubby David. Apparently I didn't make a journal entry, but at least I took photos:

So, the deal on the tractor we saw while visiting Lars collapsed when the owner decided to sell it to his daughter. After watching the grass grow at the end of winter and talking with the neighbors about how to manage the horse pastures, we decided that we would need something large enough to "bush hog" the fields.

I read various sources about how many horsepower were needed for the "bush hog" and thought about what other accessories would come in handy.  "Bush hogging" (Bush Hog is actually a brand name but, like Kleenex, is used as the generic term for mowing brush). I found a Ford 9N on EBay that looked really nice and was going for a low price. Being new to EBay, I entered a bid and waited for the auction to end. Little did I know about the hidden bids and how high the price would go at the very last second. Luckily, someone else had the high bid and I got out of that deal.


After further research, I thought a Ford 8N would be just the right equipment for our needs. Built in the 1940's to 50's they were hardly modern equipment, but they were also low priced, readily available, and deemed highly reliable. They pretty much brought modern farming to the masses.


Researching the local papers and equipment trader (like the car trader magazine, only for equipment), I found a nice 1948 Ford 8N tractor at a local lawn mower repair shop. It had been repainted, and the original 6-volt generator had been converted to 12 volts with an alternator. Other than that, I believe it was quite original. The engine in these are flat-head 4 cylinders very similar to those used in the Model A. The 8N has a 4-speed transmission with reverse (the 9N has a 3-speed). The more gear ratios you have for mowing makes it easier when your load is heavy or you are getting bogged down in deep grass. When new, the 8N has about 23 HP. This one was already 55 years old. Our lawn mower probably had more horsepower, but the gearing is what makes it all work.


So the guy made a deal on a package with the tractor, a brush mower, a blade, and a post hole digger, with delivery included. The brush mower ended up having a broken gear box, so he took it back and I traded it for a plow. I don't know why I wanted the plow, just thought it would come in handy some time.


Our first tractor, Ford 8N, Feb 14, 2003

Proud (and handsome) Tractor Owner

Blade for scraping and pushing things around

Augur/post hole digger

Brush Mower (broken; traded later for a plow)

I was so impressed with David's ability to find what we needed, and then figure out how to operate it. He just studied the manual, put on his 'mechanically-inclined' hat, and worked it out for himself. I think many people wouldn't even have tried in the first place, or would have needed a few lessons from someone. Not my David!


End


No comments:

Post a Comment