-->

Friday, January 31, 2014

4-17-03: Sheep Have Long Tails!

Thursday April 17, 2003
[as an entry, the printout of an email is taped into my journal]
19:04:02  Dad & Elsie:  Guess what I did today? Old [G] stopped by today before noon and said [L] (his son, that I helped load the hogs) was shearing some sheep and did I want to come watch. David was headed to town for a chainsaw blade and didn’t want to go, but I hopped on my bike (with walkie-talkie in my pocket) and pedaled up the road to [G’s] barn. There were 2 sheep left to do out of 12+, and I took a couple pictures.
Let the shearing begin.
The ewe is not in any pain; apparently when they tip them on their back for the procedure,
they kind of go into a trance and don't struggle much at all.

Hold still...

It's okay, now she has an excuse to get a new coat!
Did you know that sheep have long tails? You probably knew that, Daddy, but I did not. Apparently the evil humans clamp a tight band near the base of the tail after the lamb is born, and within the first six months the tail falls off. I saw a couple lambs with tails still, and couldn’t believe it. Between them and that turtle, it’s been a week of long tails…

[L] said we should be receiving our sausage soon (payoff for hog loading) but that this week is so busy. He went on and on about how busy he would be, and I assumed he meant spring farming stuff. Turns out he was just having trouble scheduling all the different places they were going to eat Easter dinner ([L’s] a big boy). Pretty funny, but I didn’t laugh at the time. Vince and Tessa are intrigued by the chunk of sheep’s wool I brought home. Such a strong smell, even after washing!

It was supposed to rain today but didn’t. David is no more impressed with the Ohio weather forecasters than he was the Washington folks. But, I proceeded with my plan to make this a baking day, since my muscles are all worn out and I walk around like a 90-year-old. So, with the intent of bringing goodies to the neighbors, I made chocolate chip cookies and cornbread muffins. David had requested a dessert earlier this week, so for him I made Chocolate Amaretto Cheesecake and also some Gingersnap cookies. All in all, a long day in the kitchen (BBQ salmon for dinner) but I look forward to bringing the goods to the neighbors as thanks for their kindness, and prepayment on favors we may ask.

Well, time for bed. I got the photos organized tonight before I started this email, so I’ll have some attachments for you tomorrow. Thanks for the email info and cartoons!
Love, Tina & the gang


End of Entry




No comments:

Post a Comment