-->

Monday, October 6, 2014

6-23-03: Don't Come A Knockin'


Monday, June 23 2003


9:35 am
The nice weather continues – downright hot, actually. Today & next few will be near and above 90. David has been working hard on installing the sump for the downstairs bathroom. Very dirty work with getting the mud and muck out of the hole. Needs to pour more concrete today so we’ll be going to Home Depot today. I think I’ll tag along so I can pick out some potting mix.
The pictures below show yet another challenge David encountered. Turns out there was a natural spring running under the house, right where he dug a hole for the sump pump. He says he had two choices: install a second sump pump to take care of the spring water, or fill it in and let nature continue what it was doing. We went with Plan B and it worked out fine.


Natural spring near the sump pump location





The potting shed has been great fun. I’ve been able to dry out a ton of daffodil bulbs, work with seedlings, and prepare transplants. Handy place to keep gloves, hat kneepads, hand tools, containers. It’s very practical and I look forward to making it decorative as well, with dried flower wreaths, pictures, etc...

Email from Dad & Elsie the other day said thanks for the Father’s day letter I sent, and that their mid-summer festivities were being hampered by the weather. I sent emails yesterday to *Britta & Karin regarding our July trip itinerary. I hope their schedules can accommodate. 

Tessa has been wearing herself out lately but still can’t seem to sleep in – wakes us up sometimes before 6:30 am. She’s identified a certain chipmunk as her new arch enemy and helps us by staking out the bird feeder area. She’s chased that little critter away from the mix more than once. I’m all for it, because that darn chipmunk was tearing up the flower boxes in the front porch.


If the feeder's a rockin', don't come a knockin'...

The gardens keep me busy – I just love puttering with the plants. Watering, weeding, planting, mulching, thinning, and just plain gazing at them. The field garden has a better chance of developing now that the weather’s turned.


*Britta & Karin: my Dad's sisters

End of Entry





No comments:

Post a Comment