-->

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

6-25-03: First Chicken Egg!


Wednesday, June 25 2003


8:40 pm
Yesterday’s Big News: found first chicken egg after evening close down! Probably from 'Creamsicle' who sports the most mature *'wattle'. Plus, earlier this morning when I opened the chicken door, Creamsicle went outside then back inside to nestle in the nest boxes as if she was trying to lay an egg. I watched for about 10 min. but then decided a watched hen doesn’t lay…


Creamsicle's first egg!

Couldn't wait to see what it looked like!


Second big news: dug up and ate the *first few red potatoes from the garden! Very tasty and almost creamy inside, cooked by steaming in the microwave.

Yesterday was @ 90 – felt like 100+ in the sun. Took me a while to get on a roll in the heat. Slept until 10:00 am because I tuckered myself out on Monday by spending hours trimming grass around our new trees & plants. I enjoy working in hot and humid conditions (sort of perverse) as long as I can take breaks & drink water.

It’s almost 9 am and already 70. I don’t want to miss a minute of the summer warmth, because I’ve got a lot of time to make up for. My tan is totally wacky because of the clothing I wear to work in. Also, the kneepads block my knees, with funky strap marks on the back. Guess I better not enter any swimsuit contests. Well, to the kitchen now – told David I’d make him some oatmeal cookies.

Yesterday was a big day for David on his project downstairs. I’ll see if I can get him to jot down a few notes.
Finally made headway with the plumbing – installed venting to outside by punching hole through bricks; same with exhaust vent; finished attaching all drainage pipes to fixtures; installed wiring & switch & box for vanity light; made frame for medicine cabinet; hooked up water pipes to main pipes & checked for leaks – had to install union on shower line so that I could tighten-up connections; installed pump in sump and test ran. 
Today I want to run vent piping through the roof & finish the patching through the bricks (cement patch). Also build the wall between the sink & toilet, also the closet wall. Then can begin drywalling.
This is a complex project with lots of steps – some made harder because of having to cut through cinderblock & brick & also because of the unusual beams & layout of the room itself. Not to mention the awful dirt under the house.







*'wattle': pretty sure I meant 'comb', since the wattle is the flesh that hangs below their beak, and the comb is the flesh upon their heads.

*first few red potatoes: can't believe I didn't take a picture!



End of Entry



No comments:

Post a Comment